The Level 5 Diploma in Education and Training is a teaching qualification which has a teaching/training practice requirement. It is an ‘in service’ qualification designed for those working or wishing to work as teachers/trainers in England. It may be possible for pre-service teachers/trainers (defined as those who are not formally contracted as teachers/trainers) to also complete this qualification. All candidates, whether pre-service or in-service must have access to 100 hours of teaching.
Candidates who successfully complete this qualification will take an analytical and practical approach to all aspects of planning, delivering and assessing inclusive teaching and learning. Whilst doing this, candidates will embed theories and principles in education and training and demonstrate them in their practice. Candidates will also carry out research into professionalism in education and training policies and consider their impact on their role and their accountability as a teacher/trainer. Candidates will also have the opportunity to contribute to quality improvement and quality assurance within their own organisation.
Who should do this course?
The L5 DET course is for individuals who would like to work or are currently working within FE Colleges, Independent Training Providers and/or Local Authorities. It is designed:
- For individuals who work or who want to work as teachers/trainers in the further education and skills sector
- For teachers/trainers who are seeking career progression in their area of work
- For individuals who work with learners on a one-to-one basis
- For individuals who teach in industry
- For individuals who have already achieved some Learning and Development units that can be carried forward into this qualification
- For individuals currently working as assessors, who wish to achieve a teaching/training qualification
- For individuals who have completed the Level 3 Award in Education and Training (L3 AET), or Award in Preparing to Teach in the Lifelong Learning Sector (PTLLS) and wish to progress
- For candidates who have completed the Level 4 Certificate in Education and Training (L4 CET) or the Level 4 Certificate in Teaching in the Lifelong Learning Sector (CTLLS), and wish to progress
- For individuals who have completed the Trainer skills or introduction to training qualifications
Level of Qualification/Skill Level
Level 5 learning would include:
- Knowledge of the relationship between theory/principles and practice in the context of your existing or future role
- A planned approach to reading and research relating to principles, theories and practice
- Consideration of how professional values impact on working in your area
- Delivery of courses in a job role
- Evidence of a reflective approach
- Reflection on own practice grounded upon reading
The qualification covers the knowledge and skills required by teachers/trainers in the further education and skills sector, such as:
- Teaching, learning and assessment in education and training
- Developing teaching learning and assessment in education and training
- Theories, principles and models of education and training
- Wider professional practice and development in education and training
Prerequisites/Before the course
- You must be a minimum of 19 years old
- Good reading & writing skills in English
- Good online research skills
- A lot of ‘Patience’ (This is an intensive course!)
- You should be qualified/experienced in the subject you intend to teach/deliver
- You must be in-service or delivering sessions voluntarily - you would be observed for 8 hours in your workplace setting while you are on the course
- Access to 100 teaching practice hours - a teaching hours log would be required (a letter from the organisation)
- You must be delivering courses to learners that are aged 14+ (GCSE or Post GCSE/Further Education)
- At least a Level 2 qualification in English, Mathematics & ICT - You should agree to provide the necessary qualifications (or a personal statement) by the end of the qualification if you don't have them at the beginning
- Filled up ‘Application Form’
A photographic proof of identification [Any 1 of the following]
- Valid Passport with VISA (any nationality)
- Signed UK Photo Card Driving Licence
- Valid Warrant Card issued by HM Forces or Police
- Other photographic ID card, e.g. Employee ID Card (must be current employer), Student ID Card, Travel card, etc.
- An OFQUAL approved nationally recognised Awarding Organisation (e.g. HABC or TQUK)
- Level 5 Diploma in Education & Training (There is no mention of the mode of study on the certificate - People get the same certificate whether they attend the class based course or the online course)
- PASS / REFER / FAIL - This qualification is graded as pass/fail and we are dedicated to ensuring that as many learners as possible are successful in receiving their qualification. If there are things that need amending on your theory assignments, the assessor would give you action points with guidance on how to achieve them in the next go. (Once you are done with your theory assignments and the 8 practical teaching session observations, you would be more than ready to be certificated!!!)
Course Fees & VAT
- £1000 + £200 (20% VAT) = £1200 (No hidden charges!)
Reasons to do the course with us
- Trainer with a QTLS Status (Qualified Teacher Status: Learning & Skills)
- Trainer with DTLLS, CELTA, Assessor (A1), Internal Verifier (V1) and various other qualifications in the Lifelong Learning Sector (unlike some other training companies where staff might not be highly qualified)
- Trainer with 13+ years’ of teaching/training/assessing experience, 7+ years’ full-time experience of delivering Teacher Training Qualifications like the PTLLS, L3 AET & Conflict Management courses, 3+ years’ full-time experience of delivering the TAQA (Assessors’ & Internal Verifiers’) course, 13+ years’ experience of delivering ESOL courses
- We have helped 1500+ learners in getting through their PTLLS qualification, 300+ learners in getting their new L3 AET qualification, 200+ learners in getting their L3 Conflict Management qualification and a few learners in getting their Assessor’s & Internal Verifier’s Qualifications so far
- We are a HABC, TQUK, AIM Awards, City & Guilds, & Pearson (Edexcel) approved centre. This is proof that quality is one of our main concerns and that we are not here for a quick buck. (unlike some other training companies that would give you unbelievable offers and fake promises)
- We would be more than happy for you to talk to our previous successful learners who have achieved their L3/L4 PTLLS, L3 AET, L3 Conflict Management, Assessor’s & Internal Verifier’s Qualifications from us
- If you are not satisfied with our course, you can ask for a refund within 7 days of your booking. We would deduct an admin fee of £50/- and refund the remaining amount!!! We are really confident about our course.
- 180 Days from the day of payment - We have had learners who have completed the entire course in as less as 8-12 weeks
- A paid extension is available
Follow Up Support
- On-going Email Support throughout the course (We normally respond within 24 hours.)
- Telephone Support during Office Hours (9 am to 6 pm Monday - Saturday)
Certificate Turnaround Time
- 1 to 2 working weeks after successful completion of your theory & practical assignments (For most of our qualifications, we have a Direct Claims Status with the Awarding Organisations)
The course would involve:
- Around 500+ hours of online/printed material in the form of Lessons
- Videos clearly explaining the concepts around Education & Training
- Audio/Podcasts clearly explaining the concepts around Education & Training
- Analytical reading texts
- Discussions with peers and tutor
- On-going quizzes throughout the course
and much more...
- The qualification will be assessed by a combination of assignments, a portfolio of teaching evidence and observation of teaching or training. Simulation of teaching (micro-teaching) is not permitted for this qualification.
- Essay Type Assignments (Theory Assessment) - You would get the Guidance Notes on how to answer the theory assignments to keep you on track.
- Planning & delivery of at least 8 sessions - 1 hours minimum (Practical Assessment) - The sessions can be done on any topic of your choice, preferably the subject that you specialise in. You would be observed and assessed by a tutor/assessor for at least 8 hours out of the 100 hours of teaching practice. The assessor may observe you live or via Skype.